The Biomass Exchange is an online trading venue operating according to the set rules and providing buyers and sellers with an opportunity to finalise contracts electronically in the Biomass Product Exchange. The Biomass Exchange operates as the central venue in which market participants – sellers (suppliers of biomass) and buyers (normally heat production companies) – meet anonymously. By means of the trading system of the exchange, the participants can quickly and easily sell their products and purchase the required quantity of biomass.
The main objective of the Biomass Exchange is to promote competition in the biomass market and to ensure conditions for the formation of transparent, objective, and economically substantiated prices of traded products.
In 2012, legal regulation for the establishment and operation of the exchange was developed and a system for finalising small-scale, short-term contracts of purchase and sale of biomass was implemented. Following comprehensive analysis and evaluation of the practices in the biomass market, in the summer of 2013 BALTPOOL UAB implemented an improved trading model intended for organising long-term supplies.
Scheme of operation of the Biomass Exchange
Advantages of trading in Baltpool Biomass Exchange:
- all parties are provided with equal conditions to become participants of the exchange;
- open negotiations take place in the electronic environment;
- anonymity of participants is ensured;
- contract prices are published.
- availability of a system for securing fulfilment of obligations in compliance with the current market conditions;
- grouping of participants by the degree of their financial reliability and production capacity.
A clear system:
- a simple and clear process for placing orders and finalising contracts;
- trade in standardised products;
- a clear process for establishing biomass quantities and quality.
- easy and quick finalisation of contracts in the electronic system;
- centralised collection and signing of documents;
- the Biomass Exchange takes care of the required documentation.
- buyers and sellers are grouped based on the best price offered;
- possibility to buy from several sellers who submitted the best offers;
- sellers submit offers simultaneously to all buyers in the selected transportation distance interval;
- competition ensures the best price of biomass.