About us

BALTPOOL – the most proficient channel of biomass trade in Europe

Baltpool International Biomass Exchange, operating in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Denmark and via partners – in  Finland and Sweden. Baltpool is part of Lithuania‘s state owned EPSO-G energy transmission and exchange group. EPSO-G holds 67 percent share in BALTPOOL with the remaining 33 percent owned by the oil and LNG terminals operator Klaipėdos Nafta. BALTPOOL‘s operations are lisenced and supervised by national energy regulatory authorities.

There were 446 members registered to trade on BALTPOOL biomass trade platform as of the end of Sepetember. Over 5 TWh of biomass fuel was sold via the platform in 2019 with a total transactional value of just over EUR 62 million in 2019.

Since the start of BALTPOOL operations in 2013, Lithuania has replaced a significant amount of fossil fuels with bioenergy, thus improving the trade balance, security of supply with more than 90 percent of biomass trade for centralise heating carried out on the open market and pricing often below by-lateral conatct level.

Baltpool provides transparency, is easily accessible by interested parties, boosts efficiency, as standartized products and contract conditions save time. Traders value it for reliability, as within the exchange supply and payment are secured and guaranteed by collateral system and categorization of suppliers.

In simple words, biomass exchange is trading system, that is based on auction principle, where buyers and sellers anonymously meet to trade biomass. It‘s simple and convenient to use, businesses can join it in a fast and effective manner.

One of aditional values of biomass exchange – it offers both long term and short term contracts. It allows buyers and sellers to apply trading strategies and to react to the fluctuation of prices in the market, while that way reaching bigger profit. Exchange has also created biomass SPOT market, which has added additional flexibility for market participants. Contracts by ships possible as well, according CIF, FOB, FAS conditions.

We are often approached by companies from different European countries that are interested to partner up with us in creating local biomass exchange. We are eager to share good experience compiled during 10 years. We are inviting European companies to join and try out our biomass exchange or team up with us in creating local biomass exchange, as it is profitable and easy!, says CEO of Baltpool Andrius Smaliukas.

About BALTPOOL Biomass Exchange: